Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mothers

I very rarely weigh in on anything political. I have my opinions, but generally keep them to myself unless asked or something really makes me speak up. Today this happened.



This morning I've sat and listened to the news media debate Sarah Palin being able to be VP due to being a mother of 5 children. (Thanks to Michael I've heard everyone from Meredith Viera to Dr. Phil weigh in on the situation.) I think that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!! To me, that would make her a better VP. I've noticed over the last 6 weeks that I think more about decisions that have to be made in our family because they no longer only effect (affect) Aaron and I only. We have a helpless little one that our decisions impact greatly. I've also heard her criticized for being a working mother. Right now I'm a stay-at-home mother. That's what we've determined is right for our family at this time. I have always wanted to be a mother that stayed at home. I have plenty of friends who that is not what they see for themselves or family. Do I think they are lesser mothers than me? Heck no!! I actually admire them. I couldn't leave my child at daycare everyday and go to work. My heart wouldn't take it. I also don't see how they balance the demands of motherhood and the demands that most careers have. I don't think I could do it.



Here's another question I have about the whole situation. Why isn't anyone asking how Obama will handle being President? He is, after all, a father to two young daughters. Why is it that women who want to have a career have to undergo so much more scrutiny than a man? Come on people it's 2008 not 1948. Women are allowed and want to work outside the home. They shouldn't be criticized for the decision that they make either way.

That's my rant for the day.