Yesterday Aaron and I had a good laugh at how sleepy I really am. I made our first dinner at home since Michael was born. (Our wonderful friends here have been bringing us dinner with plenty of left overs, so we haven't had to cook.) We decided at the table who would do the dishes and who would handly the poopy diaper. I got the dishes!! Aaron hadn't changed a poopy diaper yet yesterday. Aaron gets done with the diaper and I'm about to walk out the door to my JWA meeting and Aaron dies laughing in the kitchen. I go see why he's laughing at me. It turns out that I had done all the dishes and started the dishwasher without washing the pan we cooked dinner in. Aaron looked at me and told me that was a great indicator of how tired I am at this time.
I've been trying to do the whole sleep when he sleeps thing, but that doesn't always work out. It seems like more times than not it doesn't work. I feel like there are things that have to get done that get in the way of sleep like pumping, showering, laundry, eating, etc... Then there are the times that Michael won't sleep. If he's not asleep, then I don't get to sleep. He likes to be sure that we all know that he's awake by screaming at the top of his lungs. I think that has more to do with colic and his tummy hurting. This morning I held him for a good long while in a sitting position because that's the only position he wouldn't cry in. I knew then that it had to be his tummy. He eventually went to sleep in time for me to pump and start the whole process over again.
Don't get me wrong, I love my job as Mommy. I love looking down at his little face and see him gazing up at me. I always try to be close enough to him that he can somewhat focus on who it is that has him. I love watching him "smile" even if it is gas pains that everyone says it is. (He has the cutest dimple on his right cheek that I have to kiss everytime I see it.) I love walking by him and seeing the most peaceful face you've ever seen when he sleeps. I really just love looking at his angelic face.
Life is good even with a definite lack of sleep!!
No comments:
Post a Comment