This week I have been getting geared up for another year at Children's Day Out at the church. Yesterday we went over the curriculum that we'll be teaching and got our room assignments. I am excited to announce that I will be in the nursery with the babies. The oldest in my classroom is 7 months and the youngest is only a month old. I can hardly wait to get my hands on all those little guys!! Oh and the even better part is that I've been teamed up with my good friend Alli. I really think it's going to be a great year.
Yesterday afternoon we spent our time cleaning out our room and getting rid of stuff that should've been thrown out a long time ago. Today we got to get creative. That's one of my favorite things about teaching, the creative aspect. Our room name is turtles so we tried our best to decorated with as many turtle things that we could. Alli found a cute turtle note pad that we used to put their names on the crib that they'll use. We made a welcome poster with little wooden turtles on it that we put their names on. Alli bought two bigger turtles that look a little on the flattened side to put our names on. I made the joke that we looked run over and that's probably how we're going to look everyday after taking care of 7 babies. The poster looks really cute anyway.
Tomorrow we've got meet the teacher in the morning and we will go over policies and procedures tomorrow afternoon. UGGHH!! Nothing much more boring that being told how to wash your hands, how to change a diaper, how to wipe a snotty nose, and not to use your cell phone at work. Did I mention I'll have about three hours of that? Fun, fun!!
Michael, my smart little toot, has totally skipped a class and is now in the classroom that was mine last year. He's the youngest in there I'm pretty sure. I forgot to ask his teacher today. I guess I'll find that out tomorrow. My biggest concern about him jumping ahead is that he's still crawling and most, if not all, the kids in class are walking. I'm worried that he'll get picked on or left behind. Then again I'm hopeful that it'll motivate him to start walking because he'll want to keep up with everyone else. I'm excited though about this move too. He'll get to go to music which I think I'm the most excited about. They don't do a lot of music education with his age group, or didn't last year, as much as they dance and clap and that sort of thing. They also learn some sign language. I may have to sneak out of my room so I can go watch him in there. He loves music so I'm sure he'll love music class. He'll also get to go outside which he didn't get to do in the nursery and I don't think they do in the class he skipped over. Granted he won't be able to play on any of the equipment unless his teacher helps him, but he loves to be outside and in the grass. Hopefully he'll enjoy it. I'm also hoping that being in a new class will help him learn to nap at school. The last several months he's thought napping at school was optional. I no sooner get him in his carseat and start out of the parking lot than he's asleep. I'm hoping they will wear him out enough in the morning that he will want to nap. We'll see. If not, I may have to deal with an unhappy pair of teachers.
That's what has been happening in my life lately. I'm glad to be back into a routine. I can't wait for the school year to begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment