Friday, November 14, 2008

Random Doctor Visit

Yesterday Michael and I made a random visit to his pediatrician. Little one had been spitting up a lot more and not eating as well as he had been. Mommy got a little concerned. I figured more than anything it was his reflux acting up, but the not eating thing made me wonder if it wasn't something else. So off we went to the pediatrician's office after we left the church yesterday afternoon.

Before I say anything else about the visit and what we found out about Michael, I have to tell you about the zoo of a waiting room that I walked into. Let me start with saying that my classroom had been hell that day and THEN I was lucky enough to go to the pediatrician's office so my tolerance level was zero, but looking back on it this morning it was still chaos. One of the mothers was allowing two of her children to play hide 'n go seek in the waiting room. The kids were running in and out of the bathroom in the waiting room and going under the seats and screaming at the top of their lungs. I could hear my mother and Brenda DeBusk in my head saying "Get up off that floor. Do you know how dirty that floor is? Gross!!", then dragging us into the bathroom to wash our hands or now Brenda would be pulling hand sanitizer out of her purse. I have turned into them because it took all I had to not offer the children the hand sanitizer in my purse. The really gross part of this is that they would get off the floor then walk over to their mother to get a cookie WITHOUT washing their hands. All of this was going on and my poor baby was trying to take a nap with the tummy ache. He'd almost get to sleep then one of them would bang the toys or scream really loud and then he'd wake up, pissed off he's awake and scream. The other mothers in the waiting room would then all give me dirty looks because my child's crying. What happened to having control of your children? When we went to the doctor if we got loud we were reprimanded and told their were sick people in the doctor's office that don't like/want/need to hear children screaming. I waited for a good hour in this environment and was ready to tell every mother in the place off by the time I got put into a room. I guess it's just a courtesy thing that some people just don't care about anymore.

We finally got into our room without me killing anyone. (We waited almost half an hour in the exam room at this point. Mommy was getting very frustrated.) They weighed Michael and he's now at 13 pounds even. YEAH!! Dr. Bello did a physical exam that was completely normal. I was glad to hear that. All of that means that his reflux is acting up again. She had warned us when he was first diagnosed that this might happen when he got ready to move into a new diaper size which he's about ready to do. So Michael is now going to get his Prilosec twice a day instead of once. He also gets to have cereal in his bottle now. I'm hoping to revisit that at his well-baby visit in 10 days. I'm hoping they will let us feed it to him along with some new foods instead of giving it to him the bottle. By the time we left this visit, I was completely frazzled and Michael was screaming because he's hungry and off his schedule. I got him home and he had his first bottle with cereal. Thankfully he was still sound asleep at 9 and slept until 6:45 this morning.

Gotta run!! He's just woke up from his nap and is not happy about it.

No comments: