Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Resolutions

I tend to agree with my friend, Erin, in that making New Year's Resolutions are usually a waste of time due to the fact that by about March they've all died off. So this year I've vowed to make a few lifestyle changes instead of resolutions.

My first "change" is a joint promise between Aaron and I. We've decided that Michael is now old enough to be left with a babysitter a little more often. Our goal for this year is to have a date night at least once a month. This is already off to a great start thanks to my parents. Mom and Dad let us go out Saturday night for dinner alone. It was rather nice. We got home just in time to give Michael his bath, bed time bottle, and put him to bed.

My second "change" is to lose weight. I know that sounds really cliche, but it's more a health thing than a look better thing. I saw my OB last week for my yearly exam. I told him that Aaron and I are doing Weight Watchers together and that we've had success on it before. He told me that he was really glad to hear that because of all the diet plans out there it's the healthiest since it doesn't remove whole food groups. I asked him what a healthy weight for me would be. He said that the rule of thumb on that is that for every inch you are over 5 feet, add 5 pounds. For those doing the math, that means I should weigh no more than 115. After I quit laughing, I told him that I don't ever remember weighing that little. He then went and looked at a chart/book thing and told me that my highest weight shouldn't be anymore than 130. I still wanted to faint. That's 10 more pounds than I had planned on losing!! So the moral of this story is that I need to lose 50 pounds BEFORE Aaron and I even consider having another child. My doctor says that this will greatly reduce my chances of pre-ecclampsia the next go around. I'm happy to report that this change is well under way too. I lost 2.5 pounds last week and have started back to the gym.

So here's to 2009 and my two changes that I want to make in my life. Hopefully ya'll will see a new woman come December 31!!

No comments: