Here is a list of some of the things that have been said to me and what I think about it and what I wish I could say.
- "Are they natural?"-- I know I've been very transparent on here about my infertility issues, but what makes people think they can walk up to another human being and ask if their children are "natural". I can't tell you how many times I've bitten my tongue to keep from telling people while I was pregnant that they weren't natural but fake. I just feel that this is a completely inappropriate question to ask a random question to anyone.
- "Oh my!! You're huge!!"--Yes I know I was huge. You carry twins and see how small you can stay. I could hardly walk I was so big there at the end, but i had two extremely healthy little girls. Plus it is NEVER appropriate to tell a pregnant woman she's huge. I can say I was huge and you can agree with me. You can even tell other people how huge I was. However, you never say it to that person's face. By the way, I started having random strangers tell me this at 16 weeks. One even told me that I would be beyond miserable by the time I delivered. I guess she thought I was stupid.
- "Are they twins?"--Nope I just have two babies that are a minute apart. I know they're not identical, but really!! Nope, my mom and I had babies on the same day at the same time. (People really ask my mom about it.)
- "That's my version of a nightmare."--I know twins aren't for everyone. Even Aaron was a little shocked when we saw two little beans with heartbeats during our first sonogram. Twins weren't exactly in our plans. However, God had a different plan. After all we had been through with the miscarriage and 18 months of trying, me almost dying, the girls in NICU, etc., I know most people couldn't imagine, but it's far from a nightmare. They are BLESSINGS not nightmares even when Mommy hasn't slept or has had very little sleep. Is is easy? No, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
- "Are they your firsts?" No. We have a three year old, too. "Oh." (Said along with a look of "Are you nuts?")--I wouldn't give anything for my three children. I can't believe people actually think it's ok to look down at me because I have three children. My grandparents had 4. The Duggars have 19 and 2 grandchildren. The Gosslins had 8 of which 6 were born at the same time. Aaron's boss has 9. I'm not unusual. I'm not even weird. I had a friend in the hospital giving birth to her third while I was in the CCU. Wonder if she gets the same "look."
- "Girl, I hope you're done."--What business is it of anyone else's if my husband and I decide to have anymore children? We had made the decision before my heart issues that we were done. Then the doctors told me that if I had anymore, it could kill me. Someone asked me this yesterday (hence the venting) and I looked at her and said, "No. I'll literally die if I have anymore." Rude? Probably, but I don't have a clue who this person is and I don't understand what right she thought she had to voice her opinion about my reproductive choices.
I say all this because I hope people reading it will think before you open your mouth to people that have more than one child, are pregnant, have multiples or choose not to have children. It's really no one else's business but their own.
1 comment:
You are absolutely right, people say the most horrific things and make judgements about situations that they don't understand. Twins run in my family, I was always hopeful that when we got pregnant (I too suffer from infertility issues, no babies yet) I would be blessed with multiples. I think that people often think that they aren't being rude by voicing their opionion. I often get the "how lucky" I am by not having children and all the benefits that come with no children, they don't realize that those comments cut to the bone. However, you seem to have so much more tact than I do, as I'm often rude to the people who make comments on my lifestyle and personal choices. My only comment to you with having 3 small children - Rest up Momma, your going to need it! Have fun!
Post a Comment